Tuesday, March 8, 2016

SAME SAME BUT DIFFERENT - Bangkok

Who says you can't go back!
I had to spend Sunday at Chatucuk market - it is the place to be. It was of course uncomfortably hot and crowded but I endured a good seven hours. Everything from soup to nuts.  Fascinating people watching and great browsing.
 I bought a river boat pass and made my way over to Kho San Road - it use to be the backpackers haven. Still quite a few dives but over all it has progressed quite nicely. I bought a papaya salad and a smoothie for lunch there, 80 baht. Tonight, at the market here the same thing was about 220 baht.  Still lots of good shopping on KSR and you can still buy an international press pass or a drivers licence from anywhere in the world right off the street.
The river boats are amazing, packed and noisy yet efficient. I am not sure how they avoid crashing into each other. They have some system of whistle blowing that determines who is going to dock and you would think that they pay by the second for docking. If you are not fast enough you get left on the pier or you do not get off the boat.
I made it back the hotel about 4 dropped off my stuff and walked to the night market.  Strolled the soi's for a few hours then came back changed out of my sweaty clothes and went downstairs for some pumpkin soup. I love the pumpkin soup in Asia  -- have tried and never succeeded to duplicate it at home.

Sorry for the blur- wrong setting. But you get the idea of how packed it is.

On the street, selling piggy banks.

My all time favorite stand! They are everywhere.

Street drug store

Second favorite stand -papaya salad

What do Bangkok and Key West have in common? Both have pink taxi cabs!

My view!



Rambuttri Alley

River life

Long tailed boat


Gotta wonder how many go in each year?

Amidst rush hour a barge makes its way through the chaos!

The guy in the blue is the whistle blower.



Gas station.

Siang Pure - "refresh brain"need some of that!

Just cool

Some tourist getting his feet cleaned! 



Same same but different - London has The EYE - Bangkok needs one too!



Eve and Ice stayed with me 10 years ago when they came to Toronto for six weeks to learn English.  Great to see them again and catch up! 

I was going to laz about the pool this afternoon and chill but think I will go explore Chinatown, I can sit by a pool any time....can't do Bangkok anytime!



No comments:

Post a Comment